10 June 2008

volunteer help needed at the louisiana history museum at alexandria, louisiana


note: at our request, mr. genius was kind enough to forward to and grant us permission to post his letter which appeared here in todays gannett/alexandria daily town talk 'your mail' section.

Museum help wanted.

As director of the Louisiana History Museum I have to constantly study our area’s history. I talk to people and read every book and article on Central Louisiana I can find. I am always on the lookout for items of historical interest to this area. I can never learn enough about Alexandria and Central Louisiana.

I have one problem though. I can’t do it all by myself. I need two or three volunteers who are willing to learn and are able to communicate with groups of people. There is no pay involved and you must be willing to devote several hours a week of your time. The only thanks you will get is the satisfaction of educating visitors to the Louisiana History Museum about our area.

It takes a special person to do this. You must like history and enjoy talking to people. You must have a basic knowledge of Louisiana History. You do not need a college degree, but one of course is helpful. You must be willing to listen and learn and then pass this on to others. If you like history and talking to groups, then you will love being a docent for the museum.

If this sounds interesting to you and you have plenty of free time then please get in touch with me. Instruction time is about 5 to 6 hours. I will invest my time in you if you are one of these special people. We need several people to help with tours.

But please do not apply unless you are willing and able to follow directions and are committed to doing this type of work. Please contact the Museum for an appointment. 318-487-8556. Ask to speak to me.

Louisiana History Museum
Dale Genius - Director
503 Washington Street
Alexandria, La. 71301
Office- 318-487-8556
Cell- 318-308-8887
Home- 318-445-7730

Visit our Web Site: louisianahistorymuseum.org

EXTERNAL LINK